Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Culture- White Female from a Small Southern Utah town!

So for an assignment I have been assigned to think of three artifacts that represent me culturally. They are things that represent my background and daily life. So here they are!

4-Wheelers
Growing up in a small town has given me opportunities to do things everyday that a lot of other people do not. 4-wheeling was always one of those activities that I could do whenever I wanted to. I could hop on and within only a couple minutes I was out of sight of any civilization. One of my families favorite activities to do is attach a sled onto the back and get pulled around in the snow.
4-wheeling has always been activity for me to get away from everyone and my crazy life. It was time for me to get out in the mountains and nature with time to think. I did not get a whole lot of time to myself during high school because of all the activities I was involved in, so I took advantage of every opportunity I could to get away.

Volleyball
Every since elementary school I have played volleyball. Playing with the same girls for years taught me leadership skills and how to work in a group. We had to learn how to help each other learn new skills. Playing volleyball also taught me how to follow instructions because my coach always told us what we need to do and how to do it.
I think the most important thing I learned from playing volleyball was that if I tried hard enough at something I could accomplish it. There were times when I thought I would never be good at serving the ball or be able to get a good pass, but with practice and and positive attitude I eventually mastered them. Throughout my life I have remembered the determination that I had while playing volleyball and have applied it to other aspects of my life. Because of this I am now at the most amazing university and learning more than I thought was possible.

Cookie Sheet
Yes this may be a common household item, but for me it is an object that holds a lot of good memories. My sister Aubry and I love to bake and try out new recipes. Our favorite thing to cook though are chocolate chip cookies. Through the many years of spending one-on-one time with my sister we have become very close. Along with having a sister that I can always talk to, I have become obsessed with making desserts. I love when I discover a new recipe and it turns out to be my new favorite dessert of the week. For example just last week one of my roommates and I decided to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies because she had a pumpkin left over from a while ago. I learned how to cook pumpkin and smash it up so we could put it in the cookie dough.
My eagerness to learn and discover new things is a result of cooking for many years. I am now not only interested in cooking, but in many other things as well. It has helped me in school to find ways to look at the material I am learning about in a fun and exciting way. I love to experiment and whenever I can find a way I do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment