Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reach for the Stars

Today I had the opportunity to listen to an amazing woman speak at the forum today. Condelisa Rice came and spoke to the entire BYU student body. She talked about no matter what you background you can achieve great things. She said that it is the one thing that everyone she has every talked to that does not live in the U.S. admires about our country. We truly are a country that believes in giving people chances.

All day I have been thinking about how lucky I am to have the chance to be here at BYU furthering my education. There was a time when only men could learn to write, read and go to college. Now not only can women get an education, but people from different races are not discriminated against. Prof. Rice talked about how when she was a little girl how she could not even go into a restaurant with white people. She never went to school with a white person until she was older and moved to Colorado. Now she has been the Secretary of State which is something that she never thought would have been possible. I am so blessed to live in a place that accepts me for who I am.

Just remember to reach for the stars! You have the ability to achieve anything that you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment